This content has been archived. It may no longer be relevant
UPDATE: An Uncharted panel at PSX has revealed the following details:
- The game, referred to as a “story expansion” began as DLC, but grew to something larger. Internally, the studio is calling it a standalone game.
- The game is set in India and takes place after the events of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End.
- We saw the beginning in the eight minute demo. Chloe and Nadine are infiltrating a camp led by an insurgent leader, who’s one of The Lost Legacy’s main antagonists.
- On the topic of whether or not it will feature some of Uncharted’s supernatural elements, the team was only willing to say the basic story will be “grounded.”
- At least one treasure Chloe and Nadine are after is the Tusk of Ganesh.
- Because Chloe is such a different character, gameplay will feel different. As seen in the demonstration, her fighting and mode of stealth differs greatly from Nathan Drake’s. However, it will still very much feel like an Uncharted game.
- Uncharted 4 touted a “wide-linear” form of progression and exploration. This standalone will go even “wider,” as the team aimed to expand upon what was done in U4 as much as possible.
- Tonally, it will be a bit different than what we are used to, because Chloe’s at the fore. But again, it will still maintain the feeling of the franchise.
It’s that time of year again, PlayStation Nation, and boy did PSX 2016 open with a bang. Just as Naughty Dog did with The Last of Us’ VGA reveal in 2011, they wowed with a few minutes of incredible gameplay before completely blowing our minds.
The content’s trailer takes viewers on a covert ride, before the mysterious woman in a hijab is unveiled (literally) to be Uncharted fan-favorite, Chloe Frazer. But there is more, as the latest character in the franchise, Nadine Ross, is seen coming to Chloe’s aid. They make a great duo.
Check out the eight minute gameplay demo below:
All we know of Nadine is that she runs her father’s paramilitary organization, Shoreline. She pops up frequently throughout Uncharted 4, giving Drake a hard time. Her introduction in the game also revealed she has history with Sully. It’s no surprise the South African is in cahoots with the talented Chloe Frazer. With this in mind, it’s possible we may see Charlie Cutter return, as well.
Now the question is what’s the setting. Does this take place after Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End? Or are we looking at a prequel story either after Chole’s departure in Uncharted 3 or happening concurrently with the events of this year’s hit?
Naughty Dog posted the following on their Twitter account:
— Naughty Dog (@Naughty_Dog) December 3, 2016
So… is this not the Uncharted 4 DLC that’s been rumored to star Drake’s brother, Sam? At the time of writing, we can’t be too sure. Hopefully, more details are on the way.