Damon Lindelof has been behind the critically-acclaimed shows like The Leftovers and Watchmen, so you can imagine a lot of fans’ excitement when it was announced last year that he would be working on his own Star Wars films. Bad news though, because word is going around that Lindelof has exited the project.
Above the Line reports that Lindelof and Justin Britt-Gibson had submitted their draft for a script last February, but they soon left the project days after. We don’t know exactly what prompted the exit, but they believe that Lindelof’s quote from /Film hints at what happened:
“I will just say, that for reasons that I can’t get into on this Sunday morning, on this day, the degree of difficulty is extremely, extremely, extremely high… If it can’t be great, it shouldn’t exist. That’s all I’ll say, because I have the same association with it as you do, which is, it’s the first movie I saw sitting in my dad’s lap, four years old, May of ’77. I think it’s possible that sometimes when you hold something in such high reverence and esteem, you start to get in the kitchen and you just go, ‘Maybe I shouldn’t be cooking. Maybe I should just be eating.’ We’ll just leave it at that.”
If it’s any consolation, Lindelof’s exit has not been officially announced, so he could still be attached in some way. It’s also said that the original choice for director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, is still attached to helm the film.
We don’t have much details on what the movie was going to be about, but it has been said that the story would take place after the Sequel Trilogy. With properties like The Mandalorian, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and The Book of Boba Fett taking place in the OT era, I was really hopeful that we got an update on Rey Skywalker and her friends.
Hopefully Lucasfilm updates us on the project later this year at Star Wars Celebration. Watch out for SWCC 2023 when it takes place from April 7-10.