A lot of fans were shocked when it was announced that DC was cancelling Batgirl starring Leslie Grace, especially since the film had already wrapped shooting. New DC co-head Peter Safran had said that the film was ‘unreleasable’, but the star of the movie begs to differ.
Talking to Variety, Grace was asked to comment on Safran’s quote about Batgirl potentially hurting the DC universe they were trying to build, to which Grace says, “The film that I got to see — the scenes that were there — was incredible. There was definitely potential for a good film, in my opinion.”
Though the Batgirl movie was never officially finished, the studio was said to have shown an assembly cut to the cast and crew, as a kind of ‘funeral’ for the cancelled film. The movie was said to have taken place in The Flash’s new established timeline, with Keaton playing the main Batman in place of Ben Affleck.
Though Batgirl was cancelled, there are still some fans that were hopeful that Grace would be able to reprise Batgirl in James Gunn and Safran’s rebooted DC. She, however, says that the two have not contacted her yet. Grace explains, “No, I haven’t heard from them. But I wish them the best on all the plans that they’ve got rolling out. They’ve got a lot of projects to handle, and it’s not an easy job.”
It certainly is disappointing that DC would choose to cancel the film that a lot of people worked hard on based on a tax write-off, but fans are still hopeful that we’ll get to revisit the film someday. I mean, if #ReleaseTheSnyderCut worked, why not #ReleaseBatgirl?
For now, watch out for Batman in The Flash which comes to theaters on June 16.