Rumours have been swirling that Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is having a troubled production. We heard major reshoots were needed, but those stories were shot down. A new report suggests there are problems in post-production, as Lucasfilm has brought in outside help. Apparently writer and director Tony Gilroy has been brought in to help guide the film in the editing suite.
The Hollywood Reporter revealed Gilroy has been brought in to help both Lucasfilm and director Gareth Edwards. That came after a Deadline article mentioned in passing that Gilroy had been directing the recent reshoots for the film. While THR claims that’s not the case, sources have told them he’s very much involved with the spin-off. It sounds like he’s been brought aboard to ensure the film meets its release date:
“Several insiders say Tony Gilroy, an uncredited writer on Disney’s upcoming spinoff Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, has been empowered to take the lead on postproduction for the Dec. 16 release, even as director Gareth Edwards remains involved in the project.”
While these reports are often brushed off, the recent Suicide Squad drama is timely. Those reshoot worries were laughed off, yet they’re being blamed for the bad critic reception. Going back a little further, Fantastic Four went down the same path.
The good news here is that Gilroy isn’t completely a studio pawn. Apparently, he has connections with both Edwards and Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy. The director of Michael Clayton worked on Godzilla with the director, while he’s had a long working relationship with Kennedy’s husband Frank Marshall.
It’s apparently made things a lot easier in the editing room. THR’s sources said, “There are not two separate editing rooms; they are all in there with their ideas.”
Getting an Oscar nominee involved isn’t the worst news, but clearly things aren’t going to plan. Does this make you worried about the second Star Wars release under Disney’s watch? We’ll see the results when Rogue One hits theatres on December 17.