Having a smart home in today’s world is not only pretty, it’s functional, helpful and can help you save money. Most people who come to my home make jokes and ask me how high my electric bill is. I have a lot of technology so you might expect that I have a high electric bill. People seem confused when I tell them, “I pay less than most people.” Having a smart home can reduce your electric bill, add beauty to your home and be more fun than you would expect.
The light bulbs I use to power my bedroom are all LED made by Phillips Hue. These LED bulbs are only 10 watts but produce 800 lumens of light which is equivalent to a standard 60-watt light bulb. Per common math every 6 bulbs I have is equivalent to 1 standard light bulb. LED light bulbs also generate quite a bit less heat and are cool to the touch.
Here are the 5 best ways to save money with a smart home:
- Replace standard 60-watt bulbs with LED bulbs. The initial investment is rather expensive, but you will save in the long run. The light bulbs go 50,000 hours before having to be replaced.
- Equipping your home with a nest thermostat can help save you money, provide clean aesthetics, and allow you to control your cooling and heating from the comfort of your home.
- Having a digital assistant is not only fun but can help you control all your wireless devices with voice activation. I can tell google to turn on the air, dim the lights and even control my TV! Digital assistants consist of the Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and even Cortana and Siri.
- Installing a doorbell camera is a great way to check on delivered packages and keep an eye on your apartment. Digital doorbells can be battery operated or installed with a low voltage wire. When someone approaches your door, it sends a notification to your phone as well as when they ring the bell. With my digital doorbell I have less to worry about when my packages get delivered.
- Finally, but not least, Harmony Hub. Harmony hub is the best way to control your TV with your digital assistant. Harmony hub paired with Logitech and Google means I no longer have to get up to do anything! I can turn on and off the TV and sound bar. Cast and stream music and TV and control pretty much everything electronic in my house without having to move.
Some people may not see the value in a smart home, but it really can save you money, time and stress. I can turn my home lights and air conditioning or heat off or on from work or while traveling. I can see when a package arrives at my door and ask a neighbor to keep it safe till I get home. I save money on electricity and even get rebates from my local electric company for owning a Nest.
Do you have any suggestion on how to save money with smart home devices? I’d love to hear what you have to say in the comments below.